A useful guide to planning your wedding
When you dream of your wedding, you probably think about what you’ll wear, what you’ll say, what song you’ll walk down the aisle to. What you’re probably not thinking about is the months of leading up to the day.
Whether you’ve just got engaged or are months out from the big day this wedding planning guide has plenty of handy tips to help you bring your dream to life. It’s also good to remember that no two weddings are the same and that everything we list might not apply to you.
YOUR 12-MONTH PLAN
When it comes to planning a wedding, we recommend giving yourself a full 12 months to get everything in order. So, let’s get into it because you’ve got a lot to do; how exciting!
The 12-Month Mark
So, you’ve announced your engagement and celebrated with a party. Your Pinterest board is close to perfect, now what?
At 12 months it’s time to talk dates, budget, venues and vendors. Tackle your date and budget first as this will help you make a decision when it comes to the venue and vendors.
Hopefully, you already have a time of year in mind. Once you’ve decided on the season, you can narrow it down by month, and then determine if you want to save some money by having a weekday wedding or stick with the ever-popular weekend wedding.
Figuring out your budget is a bit trickier, it will involve a frank discussion with your partner about your current financial commitments and your plans for your future. Be realistic and try to work in a safety buffer in case you go over budget.
Do you want your ceremony and reception held at the same place, or will you choose two different locations? Inside or outside? You could choose an established venue for ease or your own property for sentimentality (given you have the space). There are lots of things to consider, whether you have an idea or not, it’s worth visiting a few venues and getting quotes before you make a decision.
Now you’ve got your budget and date worked out you can start getting quotes from potential venues and vendors. The best wedding planners, photographers, videographers, caterers, florists, stylists, musicians, and DJ’s book up quick. If there is a vendor you really like, don’t be shy about asking them for recommendations – you want your vendors to work well together!Other things to tick off include:
Choose your wedding party
- Decide on your theme – rustic charm, modern minimalism, elegant grandeur, colourful vibrancy?
- Start your guest list
- Look at wedding dress and veil styles
- Design and order your Save the Dates
10-11 MONTHS TO D-DAY
By now you’ve had a few months to gather some quotes and weigh your options, it’s time to make some big decisions and pay some deposits.
You’ll need to start booking:
- Your reception and ceremony venue
- The officiant
- The caterer
- The photographer and/or videographer
- The entertainment
- Make-up artist
Of course, you don’t need to stop there – if you’d like some additional help you could also book:
- A wedding planner / events manager
- A stylist
The 10-11-month mark is also around the time you get to enjoy the exciting parts of planning a wedding. Make sure you check off the below:
- Try on dresses (bring tissues)
- Set a fitness and beauty plan
- Look for outfits for your bridal party
Once the initial excitement of booking the big things is over, it’s time to organise all the smaller details.
- Finalise your guest list
- Send your save the dates
- Look into accommodation – if you are having your wedding out-of-town or have guests who are travelling
- Gifts – Create a gift registry or prepare a wishing well
- Book equipment rentals – décor, furniture, lighting, linen
- Book cake tastings with your caterer
- Book transportation – buses for your guests and wedding party cars
- Organise the groomsmen’s outfits
- Organise the wedding bands
6-7 MONTHS – ALMOST TIME!
Send your invites – make sure you ask after any dietary requirements and give an ‘RSVP by’ date
Start planning your wedding look – hair and makeup
4-5 MONTHS – GETTING THE DUCKS IN A ROW
Now, most of the major decisions are out of the way, it’s time to delegate. Get your bridal party or groomsmen to help out wherever they can. There’s power in numbers, after all.
- Dress fittings – for yourself and your bridal party
- Order the wedding cake
- Prepare a song list for the DJ or band
- Book the rehearsal dinner – If you want one
3 MONTHS TO GO!
Your to-do list is getting shorter! During the next phase of planning a wedding, there are a few key details you want to make sure you have taken care of…
- Book hair and makeup trials – bring your veil if you are wearing one
- Order the menu cards and wedding favours
- Purchase a guestbook
- Organise any accessories your wedding party might need – flower baskets, ring bearer pillow
- Start making the final payments to your vendors
2 MONTHS – ALMOST TIME FOR THE FINAL PUSH
Organise your RSVP’s
Start writing your vows
Get in touch with all of your vendors to confirm final details
Talk to your officiant about the legalities
Finalise and print your wedding day program
Finalise the seating arrangements – think about how people will find their seats, you can display a seating plan at the entrance or place name cards on plates
1 MONTH – IT’S CRUNCH TIME
We’re getting administrative now. Make sure you…
- Confirm the date, time and location with your vendors
- Pick up the rings and marriage license
- Write your ‘thank you’ notes
2 WEEKS ‘TIL “I DO”
Time to start looking after yourself…
- Ask your Maid of Honour and Best Man to put together a wedding day emergency kit – sewing kit, Panadol, and anything other ‘just in case’ item you can think of.
- Get your hair cut and coloured – this gives it time to ‘settle’ before the big day (avoid doing anything drastic)
- Have your final facial – It’s close enough to make a difference, not so close that you risk breaking out on your bad day
THE TIME HAS FINALLY COME
You’ve done all the hard work, now it’s time to relax and enjoy yourself!
If you don’t feel like tackling all these tasks on your own, it could be worth enlisting the services of a weddings and events planning company. If you’re planning your big day in Perth, Comestibles would be delighted to assist you in any way you need.
You can find out more about how we envision, plan and deliver unrivalled events and fine catering experiences here.
We would be delighted to hear from you. Just fill out your details here, and we will be in touch to discuss your event.